Friday, September 24, 2010

Weekend in Review

So last weekend at this time I was on a plane from NYC to Seattle. If you remember correctly, I was to have arrived in Seattle on Thursday night. What happened you might ask...well a tornado hit NYC and as a result I got to spend the night in the airport.

Our flight from Raleigh to NY was taking an awfully long time, and come to find out we had been circling for two hours over Maryland. Because we could circle any longer without running out of fuel, we were re-routed to a basically closed airport in Richmond Virginia. Upon arrival in Virginia I ate snacks for dinner from a food cart and then stood in a line to figure out what was going on for like an hour. Finally our plane left for NY. Upon arrival in NY, we stood in another hour-ish line to be told that they could not give us anything and that we were not able to leave the airport.

Thankfully I made a friend named Morgan who was wonderful to talk to and who was also trying to get home for a weekend family event. She lives in Raleigh with her husband and is a teacher. We decided that we were both trustworthy enough to hang out with/take turns sleeping and watching each others stuff through the night. We also shared a lovely breakfast on the airlines tab the next morning and a very warm Starbucks tea as well as contact info and the hope that next time we meet it will be under better circumstances.

Needless to say, I finally made it to Seattle and things were much better from there. Had the best time:
*With Mollie and Jenny for a wonderful fall lunch at Jenny's beautiful U-district home. Although I looked terrible, was tired and had just gotten off the airplane they accepted me and it was lovely to be with them
*At an awesome Varlamos and Dutches night with Seattle friends. Thank you all so much for being there! I had a lovely time begin with you.
*In a very fast and not perfect trying to connect with people UW tailgating morning. Thank you to Erin who braved it and came with me
*Being super lazy with my family on Sunday. Literally laying around watching movies on TV and enjoying the rain.
*and at the main event...Natalie and Brian's wedding. It was so nice, the weather held up, the location was very cute and totally fit them, and it was nice to see old friends who I have not seen in a very long time, as well as family friends. Congratulations Natalie and Brian!

1 comment:

  1. Karen, I think you and I were caught in the same storm. I too was at the NYC airport on Thursday night, and I'm bummed that I missed the chance to connect with you briefly during our various adventures!

    ReplyDelete