So, we have completed our second full week of orientation and I have noticed that more times than not when working with the students going through, they call me ma'am. Now I know that I have reached the oh so mature age of 25, but I do not want to be considered a ma'am at this point. I mean Miss would be one thing, but ma'am is quite another.
You have to refer to people as ma'am and sir here, it shows that you are being polite and that you respect them. I find myself using these titles often when I am directing or helping parents so that they feel like they are being treated well, and not just being herded around from place to place. The formality of it all is not surprising to me after being around southern people for a portion of my life, but it still continues to make me smile as I realize how different it all is and when I hear myself fall into the pattern of it. If only I could stay away from being ma'am for a while longer...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment