Friday, January 15, 2010
Science Majors Boggle Me
This term I am taking a one credit teaching class through the MicroBiology department that focuses on teaching TA's in the sciences how to teach. I got wind of this class through another cohort member who took it last year and found it both easy and interesting. So far...it has been both. The expectation is just that we show up when we are interested in what is on the syllabus for that week and that we bring our questions and hope to learn more. The woman who teaches it is incredibly dynamic and tells that most wonderful stories of her years in the classroom. The only thing that makes it bizzare are my surroundings. Let's just say that the only legitimate science class that I have ever taken is biology for non-biology majors at Washington. Walking into Nash Hall is like entering a foreign land. Yesterday I think that my bow headband, khaki pants and heals tipped everyone in the building off to the fact that I did not fit in there. The halls are filled with refrigerators of who knows what, and are cluttered with bikes and lab supplies. The students in my class are wonderful but are in programs that I can not even fathum ever understanding what they do like Bacterial Molecular Genitics....isn't that like three things, not just one. Yesterday was the best ever, during our break in class I went to the bathroom and found something that I never would have expected a room full of beds connected. Considering that these students spend so much time in the lab they have oh so nicely provided them a place to sleep at night or nap during the day therefore giving them absolutely no reason to ever leave the discovery process. Wild.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment