Saturday, January 16, 2010

It's Like a First Date with my Thesis

I have not really touched my thesis since last May when I left Corvallis for Arkansas until today.
In the spring we hung out a lot, I was totally infatuated with the idea of writing a thesis and loved my topic and the things that I thought I could learn and discover through it. I guess that you could say that I had a mad crush on my thesis. I put other things off to discover more about it's background, dreamed of our future together, and overall just wanted to know if we were on the track to happiness. But over the summer and even through the fall my infatuation slowed and I was occupied with a whole new set of things. I mean I guess that my thesis and I had a nice "text message" now and again just to get in contact as I filled out my review board documents, and conducted some interviews with it's best friends. But today was the day for our first date, the day where we really sat down together, dealt with the hopes and fears of our relationship together and after putting my thesis in the corner of my mind for awhile, I think that I may be beginning to fall back in love. There is just so much to say and so much that I want to share, but it is only the beginning...so it will take time.

Sidenote: Corvallis is wonderfully SO random. I am at the Beanery (surprise, surprise) working. On Friday and Saturday nights they have live music which is typically some random local who comes in and plays guitar or something. Tonight it is this precious young guy playing the digery doo (or however you would spell that). Can I just say that it is amazing! I am not sure that I have heard anyone play this instrument before, but the skill and complexity are far more than I would have ever expected were possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment