Thursday, October 21, 2010

Soul Food

Today I joined Toya, the chair of the search committee that hired me, for lunch at GK's Cafe. It was wonderful to see her as we have had a hard time connecting over the past few months and I really enjoyed her while I was here for the interview. It was like meeting with an old friend over lunch. She knows about my preference for local restaurants and therefore suggested GK Cafe, a soul food restaurant owned by two sisters here in Greenville. I was warned that it was not the healthiest of places, but it was wonderful to know that it really was home cooked food. Let me just say that this place was wonderful, wonderful! It is so homey and the colors and decor of the very small restaurant are so warm and welcoming. The tables are set with place mats and you may as well be eating in your own dining room. The service is charmingly slow, but friendly, the menu changes daily, and there are these great big chalk boards on the wall that say things like "What are you doing for God today". I had baked chicken, green beans and mac and cheese...all were great and also a glass of overwhelmingly sweet tea. One issue that I have had with Greenville is that I feel like this town could be anywhere because of the lack of local flair that I sometimes feel is going on but it is places like GK's Cafe and a few others that get me excited about being in a new southern town. We are for sure going here when you come visit!

Check it out: http://www.gkcafeandcatering.com/About_Us.html

No comments:

Post a Comment