Saturday, October 23, 2010

ECU Homecoming Weekend

This week was homecoming at ECU. Students around campus have been busy competing with their organizations for the Homecoming title. I had the great chance on Wednesday to be a judge in the skit competition. All of the teams did a really great job and it was the most well behaved/non-intoxicated skit competition I think that I have ever seen.

Last night (Friday) was the NPHC Step Show. It was a sold out crowd of 1400 people and it was an incredible show! I always enjoyed the production that was the step show at Washington and it was the same here at ECU, but somewhat more enjoyable to know the students that were performing. Step Shows are a totally different world from the IFC and NPC performance events, but are amazing. It is so neat to see the community and organizational alumni come to support the performers. Intermission turned into a full out dance party in the aisles as well. It would be worth coming to just to see...I am sure we could put you to work. After the step show our office hosted an after party at the Greenville Convention Center. Students came from all over the region to be there, I could not believe it. We saw student ID's from all over North Carolina and Virginia. I think there were about 650 people in all. Some of the NPHC students and Tierini the other assistant director were surprised with my music knowledge and the fact that I knew "make it rain and clear it out". I assured them that I was much hipper than they thought :)

This morning I joined the Rho Zeta chapter of Chi Omega for a homecoming alumnae brunch. It was nice to get invited over to the house. I got a lovely house tour of their very cute home since I had not been upstairs yet, ate some yummy breakfast, and got to watch the precious homecoming parade from their front lawn. At the end of the brunch we all gathered in the front lawn to sing shades. Knowing my cheesy love for Chi Omega I am sure that it will not surprise you that I absolutely loved this part and it was so neat to look around the circle and again realize that Chi Omega is present and relevant wherever you go even if it is just for connections like this that make you smile. That you can get together with a group of women that you do not know and all stand proudly in the front lawn to sing the same song. It also made me smile at the men who had accompanied many of the alumna women back to their chapter house who stood in clusters around the lawn while we sang looking at us with priceless looks on their faces. I also smiled to myself how here in NC singing shades on the front lawn on homecoming weekend in purple and gold dresses would have never transfered to singing shades outside the chapter house in the middle of 18th in jeans, puffy vests, and hats outside of Alpha :)

Driving down 5th on my way home this morning I loved my job as I looked at the many chapter house front lawns dotted with current members and old friends back to see each other, their University and their beloved chapter house. I love the history of college and of fraternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment