Sunday, August 9, 2009

War Eagle Mill...Real Ozark Arkansas

One of my co-workers invited me to join her when she went to pick up her daughter from summer camp. She thought that it would be good for me to get out of town and see real Ozark Arkansas and she wanted to show me a historic mill that she loves to stop by on her way to camp. As most of you know, there is not much that I love more than summer camp, living history, and a fun random adventure...so I agreed.

This is the dirt road that we took to camp after we crossed a bridge that you will soon see. We were on this road for about 20 some minutes...

Please notice the horse crossing sign on dirt road...

Here is the bridge that we crossed. It only accommodates one car at a time, so you have to wait if one is coming toward you. It also is only made of wood with little tracks for your tires...I was a little nervous, but I guess it has been standing for like 100 years or something so it must be alright.

Welcome to War Eagle Mill...this cute little sign let's us know we have arrived.

War Eagle Mill has been around since before the Civil War and is the only mill of its kind still powered solely from a water wheel.

This is the water wheel that makes all the magic happen

and the river that allows it to do so...

after it works the river flows off into the "mountains" beyond and toward camp

Can't you just imagine passing the afternoon in these precious front porch rocking chairs with a fan and a glass of sweet tea...

Inside the mill you can see the actual grinding machine. The water turns the wheel which turns those bands to run the grinder. They make all sorts of wonderful mixes and flours which are sold in old time cloth bags...I indulged a little too much in the old fashioned mixes with their unique charm.


Overall the trip was fun and I loved the mill! It was such a piece of history and was in such a beautiful setting. I did not take any pictures of camp as to not appear too creepy, but it was beautiful! (minus that is the man made lakes, witch looked pretty gross after the hot summer...) I looked up their website to try to show you...but they did not seem to have any pictures...

I am glad that I got to see and experience some Arkansas back country.

No comments:

Post a Comment