Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Really "Sweet" Weekend

This weekend I joined the Sweet family at their beach house in Emerald Isle, NC for an easy weekend getaway. Laura works in our dean of students office and is a very important woman in the world of NPC. I am really lucky to have her on campus with me

Here is a glimpse of the Emerald Isle beach. It was beautiful to walk with their dog Beau and sit listening to the ocean


We also visited Ft. Macon which was used in both the Civil War and WW2. Got to watch a living history presentation by a "Civil War soldier" which was really interesting


Then we spent the afternoon in Beaufort, NC a new favorite place. It is the third oldest town in NC, and reminded me a little of home with the harbor town feel and sailboats coming in and out and great little shops and restaurants along the boardwalk


But unlike home it was filled with amazing antebellum homes like this one all around town and great little markers that said the family name that originally built the home and the year in which it was built.


It was an incredible weekend and the Sweets were such gracious hosts. I loved eating fresh shrimp that was literally caught that day off the beach and reading on the screened porch. It reminded me of what I wanted this experience to be like and driving home as the sun set through farmland, tiny towns, and old houses with front porches I realized that I need to adventure more no matter how hard it feels because otherwise this chapter will pass me by. Next time I am at the beach I will need a monogrammed beach towel and a floppy hat for Beaufort.

No comments:

Post a Comment